May 17, 2018
The Ministry of Labour and Employment on May 14, 2018 released the Draft Outline of Model Welfare Scheme for BOC Workers (Building and Other Construction Workers). The Scheme has been prepared in pursuance of the Supreme Court’s direction in the case of National Campaign Committee for Central Legislation on Construction Labour v. Union of India & Ors. The Apex Court in its judgment dated March 19, 2018 had directed the Ministry of Labour and Employment to frame one composite Model Scheme for the benefit of construction workers in consultation with all stakeholders.
The Ministry has now invited suggestions/ comments/ inputs on the Draft Model Scheme and the same may be submitted on or before 21st May, 2018.
Key features of the Draft Model Scheme:
- The Scheme provides for life and disability cover under the Pradhan Mnatri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY). The Schemes provide for coverage of Rs. 2 lakhs in case of natural death and Rs. 4 lakhs in case of accidental death.
- The Scheme proposes health and maternity cover.
- Scholarship- For education, the Scheme proposes Rs. 3000 scholarship to a worker in a year for 2 children in classes 9 to 12.
- The Scheme proposes pension of Rs. 1000 per month to construction workers after they have attained the age of 60 years, provided they have been registered with the Board for atleast 5 years.
- However, the proposed pension scheme is debatable as it depends upon the financial capacity of the State to pay the amount proposed.
 W.P. (C) No. 318/2006