No.2 OF 1990
[6th January, 1990.]
An Act further to amend the Representation of the People Act, 1951
BE it enacted by Parliament in the Fortieth Year of the Republic of India as follows:-
1. Short title and commencement.
(1) This Act may be called the Representation of the People (Amendment) Act, 1989.
(2) It shall be deemed to have come into force on the 21st day of October, 1989.
2. Insertion of new sections 73AA.
In the Representation of the People Act, 1951 (43 of 1951) (hereinafter referred to as the principal Act), after section 73A, the following section shall be inserted, namely :-
“73AA.Special provision as to certain elections.
Notwithstanding anything contained in section 73 or in any other provision of this Act, with respect to the general election for the purpose of constituting a new House of the People upon the expiry of the term of the House of the People in existence on the commencement of the Representation of the People (Amendment) Act, 1989, –
(a) The notification under section 73 may be issued without taking into account the Parliamentary constituencies in the State of Assam ; and
(b) The Election Commission may take the steps in relation to elections from the Parliamentary constituencies in the State of Assam separately and in such manner and on such date or dates as it may deem appropriate”.
3. Repeal and saving.
(1) The Representation of the People (Amendment) Ordinance, 1989 Ord.2 of 1989., is hereby repealed.
(2) Notwithstanding such repeal, anything done or any action taken under the principal Act, as amended by the said Ordinance, shall be deemed to have been done or taken under the principal Act, as amended by this Act.