Admission as Advocates ( training and examination) Rules, 19681
1. Published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Ft. II, Sec. 3(ii), dated 8th March, 1968.
S.O. 926, dated 8th March, 1968.
In exercise of the powers conferred by Sec. 49-A of the Advocates Act, 1961 (25 of 1961), the Central Government hereby makes the following rules, namely:—
1. Short title and commencement
(1) These rules may be called the Admission as Advocates (Training and Examination) Rules, 1968.
(2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the official Gazette.
2. Requirement as to training in law and passing an examination
A person who obtains a degree in law (hereinafter referred to as the said degree) as is referred to in Cl.(c) of Sub Sec. (1) of section 24 of the advocates Act, 1961, shall not be qualified to be admitted as an advocate unless he —
(a) Undergoes for a period of one year the course of training in law; and
(b) Passes the examination, prescribed under Cl. (d) of the said sub-section.
3. Exemption from training and examination
Notwithstanding anything contained in. Rule 3,; the following categories of persons shall be exempt from undergoing the said course of training and passing the said examination, namely:—
(a) Persons who have obtained or obtain said degree, being a master’s degree or any higher degree;
(b) Persons who have obtained or obtain the said degree after undergoing a course of studies in law, the duration whereof is not less than three academic years;
(c) Persons who have obtained or obtain the said degree on the results of an examination held on or before the 31st day of December, 1968 [including persons who have obtained or obtain the said degree after undergoing a course of studies in law, the duration of which is not less than two academic years commencing from the academic year 1967-68 or any earlier academic year 1;] and
(d) Barristers called to the Bar on or before the 2[31st day of December, 1970]
1. Ins. by S.O. 1560, dated 18th April, 1969.
2. Subs, by S.O. 4101, dated 30th December, 1970, for the figures “1968”.